Saturday, November 11, 2006

In Memoriam

A few minutes ago I received an email from a girlfriend in the Philippines. She confirmed the demise of one of our classmates from high school. A heart attack at the tender age of 40.

Here is an excerpt from that email:

"We regret to confirm the demise of our classmate Cecilia Andrada Salangga due to a fatal heart attack yesterday, November 11, 2006, at around 11:30 am."

Cecil left behind a husband and 3 children.

I didn't know Cecil that well in high school. From the little I can recall, what stands out the most is a beaming smile beneath a shock of curls and a rich, lilting laughter that brought joy to those who heard it.

I cannot begin to imagine the sense of loss the family must be feeling but if it's anything close to the stunned amazement that I'm experiencing now, my heart aches and breaks for all of you. I pray that you find comfort and strenght in the arms of our Heavenly Father and please know that our deepest sympathies are with you through this most difficult time.

I pray that the representatives from our high school group can effectively reach out to the grieving family and meet, in our small way, whatever needs they have. God bless you all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm truly sorry. Prayers will be coming.