And so this is Christmas - and a Happy New Year! and no - it is not Lennon's song that is at the top of this list.
My top pick for Song of the Season is the other Christmas carol written in the latter half of the 20th century.
Originally written by singer and comedian Mark Lowry as a monologue for a Christmas musical in a church in Nashville, this song's lyrics were so profound, it left an indelible mark on it's writer. Six years later, in 1991, harmonica virtuoso Buddy Greene supplied the haunting melody and a staple of the Christmas season was born.
I first heard this song three weeks ago. I was on the freeway on my way to work and the Christian radio station I had on in the car played the Mark Lowry version. At the end of the song, I had a lump in my throat and tears were streaming down my face.
I've always loved Christmas carols. And before this song I had my favorites that definitively gave meaning to this season. But the beautiful lyrics I heard surpassed everything I knew by heart.
The lyrics brought to life a picture of a mother holding her son whom she gave birth to in a manger two thousand years ago. I could see the joy and I could also sense Mary's wonder at the Son of God she carried in her arms. Sometimes I wonder, knowing what she's been told by the Angel Gabriel, if she fully comprehended the totality of the little boy she held.
Mary Did You Know gives us a glimpse into the being that is our Lord Jesus Christ. The song eloquently portrays who Christ is, what He is, why He is and many more and ends it simply with "The great I Am".
This Christmas season, as I reflect on who Christ is in my life, I come to the following conclusion. Christ is the reason for this and every season of my life.
He is our King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
He is the reason why we proclaim joy to the world.
He is the reason why the angels heralded from on high.
He is the reason why we exalt that silent and so O holy night.
He is the reason why we, the faithful, come and worship and adore.
He is the embodiment of the ransom of captive Israel.
He is the savior we need to welcome into our hearts.
And it is the celebration of His birth that brings us all together in a place we call home.
The happiest of Christmas to all of you and I pray that God continues to bless y'all and that Christ remains as the Lord of all that is you. In His most holy and glorious Name.
1 comment:
I agree. This is a beautiful song. Although I've heard it several times, it wasn't until yesterday at church that I've finally heard the last words. Usually they're muffled in the singer's voice. But when a little girl sang it so clear yesterday...wow.
"...the great I AM."
Post a Comment