I just had one of the most unpleasant experiences I've had in a while a few hours ago. I was told, albeit in a roundabout way, that I was no longer welcome to participate in a group that for all intents and purposes, was the source of my encouragement through all my trials and tribulations. All this because I rekindled my association with a couple that has been banned from a church I no longer attend.
When the news was broken to my husband and I, the first words were something along the lines of "this has nothing to do with you both" and "we love you both but..." Verses were quoted, primarily, Matthew 18 and 1 Corinthians 5 - things to do with how to confront an errant and sinning brother or sister in Christ and how to deal with unrepentant sinners among the brotherhood/sisterhood. As the words kept coming, all I could think of was if we did nothing wrong and we are loved then why are we being told that we were no longer welcome? Eventually the answer came loud and clear - we were guilty by association.
This is my capsule summary of what I was told. Someone pointed out something to somebody else that caused some kind of reaction that I'm still trying to fathom. A meeting was called, behind our backs, and a decision was made to "unwelcome" us. I can go on and on about who said what and so on and so forth but as I sit here mulling over these events, I realize how moot a point that would be. We've been judged, and we've been found lacking.
Through all this I find myself asking the question of just how loving is "loving"? Where do you draw the line? I've heard and read over and over again that Christ dwelled with the sinners and the riff raff and the dastardly. I'm a sinner, and a riff raff and my ways are dastardly so why was I tossed out like a rag doll all the while being told that I'm "loved". And over and over again I'm reminded, 'Tis only God who is truly loving. 'Tis only God who is truly gracious. 'Tis only God who is truly forgiving. 'Tis only God that I can trust for true compassion, understanding and acceptance. Everyone else, though laden with good intentions, fall short.
2 comments:
I will continue to pray for you. We love you.
Yes.
( ( ( ♥ ) ) )
Post a Comment