Friday, August 25, 2006

75 Girlfriends ... And Counting

I recently was given the golden opportunity to reconnect with 75 (or thereabouts) women from my high school's graduating class. Big deal right? Actually it is quite a feat considering that this particular senior class graduated 23 years ago, in a small Pacific Archipelago and at least a third has scattered to the wind. At last count (sometime around mid-August), our designated record keeper(s) have located 61 classmates from said small Pacific Archipelago, 21 currently residing in the United States, 6 in Canada, 1 in the Middle East, 5 in Australia, and another 4 in New Zealand. Like I said quite a feat.

This whole global interaction began when 5 enterprising, beautiful women rallied their "contacts" into gathering at a particular website to create what is now known as Ourschool_83@website.com. It's amazing to see how membership in this group has grown exponentially the last 2 months. From the first week's sign up of about 20 people, we have now grown to about 75 members and have catalogued a whopping 2700 messages. There has also been, at last count, about 10 reunions and get-togethers worldwide with more planned along the way.

When I stop and think of what is happening, I once again find myself in awe and wonder of God's plan. I long ago stopped believing in coincidences and this is no exception. God is moving in our lives in ways we don't even comprehend. God allowed this group to be formed, after all these years, to remind us of who we were, what we've become and what role He has played in the shaping of our lives and our faith.

God in all His glory brought us together, some in person, most through the internet, to minister to each other in our time of need whether we acknowledge the need or not. I, for example, did not realize how much I missed not having girlfriends to talk to ala "Sex and the City" girlfriend talk. (Yes, I acknowledge the bad analogy). In a blink of an eye I know have 75 girlfriends. And the beauty of it is I don't have to explain to them where I'm coming from as they were there with me at that same place. And let me tell you, cutting back on the background gives you more time to get the nitty-gritty out of the way.

More than anything, this group opened a new field for me and others who share my faith, to spread God's word, His love and His gift of salvation. No, I don't pounce on an unsuspecting individual and corner her until she surrenders to a false faith just to get me out of the way. God provided this forum to allow me the opportunity to show and tell just how much God has shaped, forged and blessed my life. And my hope and prayer is that through my words and actions, I can minister to those in need so that I may be blessed by them and glorify God in the process.

Beyond all that, I am thrilled to know that I can look at all these women, and miserable though I was in high school, I can say that because of God's love for me, I can look back and say I truly love all 75 girlfriends...and counting.

5 comments:

Sonia:) said...

I'm happy for you. It's nice to find old friends. I recently joined myspace to stay connected with people I see frequently. I never imagined that any of my high school friends would find ME--but it happened. I was very excited.

trazomfreak said...

75! Wow that is pretty neat. I, like Sonia, also have a MySpace and I've re-connected to friends and family as well. I used to "snail" mail them over the years and now it is nice to catch up.

And your friends are just about all over the planet!

What is in store for all of you in another 23 years? Interesting!

BTW: Welcome!

Anonymous said...

It is funny how Myspace is the method in which many people are finding old friends.

I was lucky. I've kept in touch with many of my high school friends. I did however, find a friend I did not keep in touch and now I'm heading to his wedding this September.

One of the few positives of the internet.

C. Arnold said...

What I find truly incredible about this experience is our ability to lay down our differences and treat each other as long-lost friends.

In most cases, I find myself interacting with women who wouldn't have given me a second glance back in high school.

I also find myself looking at these women through God's eyes and for the first time in 23 years I understood that I wasn't the only one who was scared of not being accepted in high school. We just dealt with our fears in different ways.

Hindsight, and life's experiences, does make a difference in how the past is seen when revisited.

C. Arnold said...

Vels, I am so ecstatic that you visited and left your mark. I look forward to more exchanges with you. For all interested, Vels, is one of the 5 beautiful women I alluded to in the post.

Thank you for taking that leap of faith and putting this group together. Girlfriend, you're the best!