Friday, November 10, 2006

Why I Love Country Music

In the last 6 months or so I discovered the joy of listening to country music. Yes I know, in another life I really have no business meddling with the songs of this country's heart and backbone, being a self-described citygirl and all but I can thank the Lord Almighty for that, and many other changes, in my life.

Outside of the whole, "my spouse left me and I'm crying in my beer" or the "I'm a bad, bad cowboy with 2 trailers parked on my front lawn" scenario that's prevalent in the genre, there is a different side to country music that reflects the faith (check out the lyrics to Brooks and Dunn's Believe) by which this country is founded on and the patriotism (Toby Keith's Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue (The Angry American) by which we continue to move this country forward.

Many fans of the genre are down home, hardworking, God-loving, country-defending, everyday Americans who will not stand by the sidelines in any given occasion even if it's to stand up against their own. Case in point - the Dixie Chicks. They made un-patriotic comments across "the Pond" over yonder in Good Ole England (or was it France?) while on tour. Backlash: they pretty much torpedoed their career back in here in the United States. Talk about alienating your fan base! (Uhmm - the Republican Party should really have taken note of this back then but oh well - on to 2008!)

Anyway, my point is, country music is one of the few genres out there that is a melting pot of classical, jazz, gospel, bluegrass, blues and even a hint of popular music styles that gives life, almost universally, to the American spirit. Kinda like this country.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you Arien. I too have just began listening to this beautiful music. It is music! It's comforting to hear songs about Jesus without the backlash of "that's not cool" type of responses. Indeed, this genre encourages it. I personally love bluegrass more than country, but I'm beginning to get sold on country. I believe that true patriot Americans, Chrstians, and evryday good people like yourself are what make up most os this fan base.

I personally enjoy listening to Alan Jackson, Josh Turner, and Dierks Bently. But I'm still new at it.

Keith (Qoheleth) said...

I also agree; and, getting in touch with my redneck roots, I can say that today's country music has undergone a dramatic change in just the last ten years - just about the same period that NASCAR became the fastest growing sport in America in terms of fan base. I have my theories on why this is, but I'll leave that to the sociologists.

For now.

My observation is that country music, like country culture (such as it is, I mean), is on a mission, and that a good part of that is a reaction to the world around it. What other type of music is there, outside of specifically Christian music, in which you can blatantly celebrate faith? Consider these:

Believe (Brooks and Dunn)
One Wing In The Fire (Trent Tomlinson)
Some People Change (Montgomery Gentry)
When I Get Where I'm Going (Brad Paisley)
Jesus Take The Wheel (Carrie Underwood)
Don't Forget To Remember Me (Carrie Underwood)
Amarillo Sky (Jason Aldean)

The list could go on. And these are not bland, repetitive praise choruses either; each of these resonates with the impact of faith and God's active involvement in the lives of daily lives of the living.

Surrounding those songs that are blatant about Christian faith are values-based songs - those which honor family, hard work, faithfulness, courage, sacrifice, and many others.

My return to country is in large part is a turning away from the surrounding culture of death and hedonism, and I suspect that's a similar feeling for many of the others who are also rediscovering country. I may have to live in the big city, but I'll always be small-town, and until I get where I'm going, there will be just a little bit of a rebel yeller in me...

What other songs speak to you all in this way?

- Keith

Anonymous said...

Keith said..."My return to country is in large part is a turning away from the surrounding culture of death and hedonism,"

That is just it in a nutshell.

As far as songs goes, I enjoy Country because unlike other types of music, the level of sexually expliciy videos and lyrics, degradation of women, and the liberal political agendas they blurt out are too much to take anymore, if at all.

Anonymous said...

My favorite country music song right now is Josh Turner's "I'm your man." It reminds me of my wife and I hope to play it for her someday over the phone.

Just like when we were dating. Man, I love my wife. I hope to never stop dating her.