Three weeks ago, I was given a precious gift from God. I was asked to “mentor” a sister-in-Christ's teenager. And though I have a less-than-enthusiastic reaction to the word “mentor”, I am overjoyed at the opportunity I am given to become this teenager’s friend and discipler.
I have to admit, my initial thoughts were “cool, someone I can spoil.” But that’s not the case because this young, vibrant, beautiful person understands life better than anyone else her age. Despite her protestations, underneath the teen veneer is a loving and generous spirit, touched with melancholy and pain. And though her eyes sparkle with laughter at the goofiness we share, there’s a profound side there too that allows for conversations with meaning and well – profoundness.
It’s those times that I’m struck with the magnitude of my responsibility and it never fails to humble me. I am now officially a “role model” (gulp) to an impressionable young person and that’s not something to be taken lightly. In a very big and real way, my young protégé will make me accountable for everything that I do and say. All of a sudden, I find myself venturing into unfamiliar territory where normally only parents tread. And though I am not her mother, and will, by the way, never override her mother’s authority over her, I am in a position of influence and everything that I say and do from this point onwards will impact her life.
For whatever God has planned for the both of us, I can only pray that every time this young person is in my “sphere of influence” I conduct myself with a God-given wisdom and grace all the time, lest I lead her astray. I also pray that even as we’re not “hanging out”, I remain above reproach in my behavior so as not to give the appearance of living a double life. And in the times that I fall, loose my way, or suffer a return to my B.C. (before Christ) days, I pray that God will grant her the wisdom to understand that what I have said or done is not an excuse for her to do the same but should be perceived more as a lesson not be repeated or re-enacted in her life.
Regardless, I hope neither of us outgrow nor outlast this relationship. And eventually, as time and distance cuts into the time we spend together, I will always treasure this gift from our Almighty Father.
2 comments:
Wow, that's great! It really encourages me to hear you talk about how serious this responsibility is to you.
Yes, a "gift" indeed.
It is wonderful to be a part of a young life and help shape it to the right path.
Not very many people these days do what you are doing. It is beautiful.
Praying for you.
♥
Post a Comment