My last post made mention of a gift. I'm mentoring a teenager and the responsibility is not unlike parenthood. I've also grown to love this kid much like my own and I'm finding that if anything untoward or unpleasant happens to this person - I am, without hesitation, going on "kill" mode and God help the individual(s) who inflicted pain on my young ward.
Seriously though, as we grow closer, I'm finding that I'm checking myself on so many things that I normally would take for granted. First and foremost, my vocabulary is evolving. Not necessarily my choice of words, because even before this gig I've always minded my language. It's more the tone and delivery. Even away from her I've become less vulgar, crude and even confrontational in my tone.
My attitude towards others have changed to. I've begun to be less compromising in my position especially if it's about right and wrong, good and bad. I'm not less tolerant of others who are not like me but I've become more upholding of my beliefs; becoming more mindful of my Christian walk.
The gray areas where I had ambivalent or compromising attitudes ie: drinking, smoking, gambling, pre-marital intimate relationships (with or without intercourse), "unequally yoked", body art, (yes, I was considering getting a tattoo much to Qoheleth's dismay), body piercing and such are slowly disappearing and becoming distinctly black or white because I would like to be able stand up in the presence of my ward and say, with love and respect - "No, I don't think that's something that would be appropriate for you."
And as I stated in my last post, I also would like to be (not just appear), at all times, a role model for my ward. I want to be a haven for her from the daily pressures she experience. I would like very much for her to be safe and secure in my company and though I vow not to usurp her parent's position or authority in her life, I would very much like to be a positive influence in her life.
And one day, God-willing, I would like to be able to look her in the eye and tell her how God allowed her to make a difference in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment